Is Kibble (Dry Dog Food) Good for Dogs?
Dogs give their owners unconditional love and support - which we as pet owners are especially thankful for during the stress we are sometimes living through! Feeding your dog a nutritious diet is just one way to show them how much you care, in addition to providing them with the right dog bed, toys to play with, and the occasional dog treat. With so many choices for pet food, it can get overwhelming to choose the right one. As a pet parent, we know you want to make sure your dog is getting exactly what they need to be happy and healthy. In this blog, we break down the pros and cons of dry food and what you need to consider when choosing an option that’s right for your dog!
Dry Dog Food is 'Kibble'
First, let's talk about what kibble really is / means. Kibble is essentially dry dog food! As stated on TheDogBakery, "kibble is ground up ingredients shaped into pellets. Comprised of meat, grains, vegetables, and other materials, kibble is the most popular type of food for dogs and, compared to wet dog food, can prove to be the best nutritional source for your beloved pet." There are millions upon millions of dogs enjoying their kibble as you read this!
How to Choose the Best Kibble
In order to find the best dog kibble, you need an understanding of what your pet prefers and which ones they're willing to eat. Some dogs may be picky about their food while others will scarf down any kind as long as it's got their favorite flavors included! There are several different types of kibble available for pet owners to choose from, but always take your dog's age and size into consideration when shopping for new food. We also recommend speaking to their vet for their advice, too! Here are 5 things to look out for when choosing the best kibble:
1. Look at the Protein Level: Protein is an important part of a dog's diet. Without enough protein, they can't build strong bones or maintain their own bodyweight properly. Unfortunately, this can lead to health problems down the line like low energy levels and coat damage from malnutrition. Kibble with higher protein content means better nutrition for your pet.
2. Look at the first 5 ingredients: As we always say, you are what you eat - and the same goes for your dog. You should always check the ingredients of any food you give to your dog. Now, you don't have to be an expert at all things dog food ingredients wise, however, being able to pronounce the ingredients is definitely a start! You don't want your dog's food being packed with unhealthy ingredients, loads of sugar, etc.
3. Look for healthy fats: When it comes to food, people tend to stay away when they hear the food contains fats. However, there are many types of healthy fats and dogs need these to survive. It is critical that they eat a diet high in the right types of fat so their body can use this essential ingredient for energy and proper development, which includes things like keeping bone health or skin elasticity intact! Omega-3 fatty acids are great because they provide natural goodness without having any bad effects on your dog. Omega-3 fatty acids can also help reduce inflammation and can even improve your dog's coat glossiness.
4. Watch out for empty fillers: Empty fillers refer to any ingredients listed on a food label as being 'processed / made by...' This includes things like wheat flour or cornmeal... They're added during manufacturing processes as manufacturers needed a way to make their products stay fresh longer. If the dog food is packed with empty fillers, then this could lead to obesity and high blood sugar.
5. Look for added beneficial ingredients: All-natural, organic ingredients are the way to go! At Lord Jameson, we only use all-natural and USDA certified organic ingredients in our dog treats. Eating clean is super important for your dog, so the healthier the better. For example, turmeric is a really beneficial ingredient to add to your dog's diet. Turmeric can improve your dog's heart and liver and has even been shown to prevent cancer. Learn more about this amazing ingredient by clicking here. Comment down below if you'd like us to do a blog on a list of beneficial ingredients for your dog's diet!
Homemade Dog Food vs. Kibble
The question of whether homemade dog food or kibble is better for your furry friend is a tough question to answer! It really depends on the type and quality that you're providing your dog with, as well as their individual needs. Every dog is different, so it's hard to say. Kibbles may be more convenient, but some people believe that they don't have the same nutritional value as a home-cooked meal made from scratch with organic ingredients. The answer entirely depends on your dog! Always consult with their vet for the best advice.
Benefits of Kibble
Although some people argue that homemade dog food is better, there are tons of benefits to kibble. It's all just a matter of your opinion! Kibble is convenient to shop for and affordable. Cooking your dog's food from scratch could get a bit pricey depending on the ingredients you're using. Kibble is a favorite amongst many dog parents. It lasts longer and can be conveniently stored. Most dogs enjoy kibble too, so that's a major plus - especially if your furry friend is more on the picky side! There are so many flavors, so there's bound to be one they'll enjoy.
Cons of Kibble
Kibble is convenient to have around the house, but depending on the brand, they're not always healthy for your dog. Some brands, unfortunately, pack their kibble with unhealthy ingredients, so as we mentioned earlier, always check the label to see what exactly you're feeding your dog. One of the biggest drawbacks to kibble is that it can be hard on your dog's teeth, too. So, always monitor them when feeding and consult with their vet when switching foods.
Conclusion of is kibble good for dogs?
In conclusion, the answer to the question of "is kibble good for dogs" is "it depends"! With all brands, there are some made with good ingredients and some made without healthy ingredients. When choosing kibble, the most important thing is making sure the pet food you choose provides proper nutrition for your dog to meet their needs. At Lord Jameson, we believe in providing a variety of options that cater to a dog's individual requirements. To shop for a balanced diet for your dog, visit Lord Jameson! We have tons of delicious organic dog treats for your furry friends to enjoy and would love to treat them to an incredible culinary experience! Shop now!