Every pet owner will agree that their dog’s health should be on the top of their list of priorities. Dogs are our family! Just like your human kids, you want your fur babies to only have the best of best - including when it comes to food. You really are what you eat, so it's important that you understand what you're feeding your dog and what you're rewarding them with. As a dog treat company, we strive to use healthy, high-quality ingredients that make your dog feel good (and keep their tastebuds happy).
So, how do you know what ingredients are healthy for your dog? To find out which treats are suitable for your furry friend, you can simply start by checking the ingredients listed on the package. Yes, we all want to treat our pets, but we have to do it safely and responsibly! You can’t just rely on whatever your dog likes... Trust us, we love a good sugary snack from time to time, but we can all agree that they aren't the healthiest. So, make sure you're keeping this in mind when getting your dog some treats. The treats should be delicious and healthy! It is critical to check the labels marked "100% natural" or “100% organic" when purchasing dog treats. Many companies mark "organic", however, their treats may or may not contain 100% natural ingredients - so always double check!
In this blog, we will walk you through the health benefits of natural dog treats and the natural dog treats offered by us, Lord Jameson!
What Should You Look for in a Dog Treat?
When shopping for dog treats, the label will give you everything you need. Sometimes, labels can be confusing... They can have tons of ingredients that you've never heard of. Simply put, treats should have ingredients that you can pronounce! Treats without any added preservatives, colors, and flavors are healthier and safer for your dog and the treats shouldn't be full of sugar. As you know, sugar is bad for dogs as it can cause diabetes, obesity, and tooth decay. It can cause an upset stomach - resulting in vomiting or diarrhea. We suggest looking for treats that are USDA Organic Certified, like ours. This way, you can feel confident knowing that you're feeding your dog treats that are made with 100% organic ingredients.
When looking for dog treats, you should look for a treat that is high in protein, low-fat, and one that contains omega 3s... Omega-3 fatty acids have many benefits to dogs. They can help reduce the inflammation in joints, which might make walking easier and less painful. Omega-3 fats also support a healthy cardiovascular system by improving blood flow through arteries and veins while reducing triglyceride levels. Lastly, they act as an antioxidant helping with brain stimulation memory retention; this may mean your dog remembers where he hid his favorite toy! There is no downside to using supplements or food containing these essential nutrients when it comes to providing optimal health care for our dogs!
Benefits of Natural Treats for Your Dog
The benefits of natural dog treats are not just limited to better taste and breath... They can benefit them in numerous ways! Here are 5 health benefits of natural treats for dogs:
1. Defends the body against infections: A study published in the journal Frontiers of Microbiology found that dogs fed a diet rich with natural dog treats had higher levels of ascorbate, which acts to defend against infections. The researchers also noted less inflammation and oxidative stress among these animals when compared to those who did not receive this treatment or were given low-quality pet food instead.
2. Improves brain health: Natural dog treats improve brain health by increasing the amount of omega-3 fatty acids in your pet's body. As we previously discussed, omega-3s are known for their anti-inflammatory effects and have been found to slow down or even reverse cognitive decline as people grow older.
3. Better digestion: Natural ingredients can actually help improve your dog's digestion by making it easier for them to digest their food which will, in turn, make the nutrients they get from eating more readily available for use rather than being stored as fat or used up fighting off illness that may arise through poor diet.
4. Supports dental health: Natural dog treats reduce plaque and tartar buildup. The natural way of reducing plaque and tarter is by using natural treats that are not processed in any chemicals during the manufacturing process. This will make a difference to your pet's overall oral hygiene as well as their breath smell!
5. Improves overall health: This is pretty self-explanatory! The key to maintaining a healthy pet is through a proper diet. When dogs eat tasty human food they might be getting lots of added calories and fats that aren't good for them in their regular dry kibble or commercial snacks. Natural treats can include all sorts of fresh fruits, veggies like carrots and apples, as well as meaty proteins such as fish which provide calcium essential nutrients while adding variety to an otherwise boring meal routine! Overall, natural dog treats help to maintain a proper weight and decrease obesity which commonly occurs as dogs age.
Lord Jameson Natural Dog Treats
As we mentioned earlier in this blog, we strive to use healthy, high-quality ingredients that make your dog feel good. Our Lord Jameson treats are USDA Organic Certified and are suitable for vegans! Each recipe is made from organic fruits, vegetables, plant-based proteins, and lots of super-foods including coconut. From the start, it's been our goal to offer the best culinary experience for dogs of all ages and breeds. We wanted to create treats that were both incredibly delicious and healthy. We currently offer four amazing collections:
- Everyday Collection: This collection includes several wonderful bite-sized flavors. Whether the treats are made with sweet potatoes, blueberries, strawberries, or peanut butter, this collection has something for all dogs to enjoy!
- Large Breed Collection: This is our newest collection! We took three of our flavors from our Everyday Collection and made them larger. These were made with large breeds in mind and they're absolutely perfect for pre and post workouts... Or, just as a way to show your dog you love them!
- Wellness Collection: We are extremely proud of our Wellness Collection. This is our first line of organic treats formulated with botanicals and herbs for a healthy lifestyle. This collection consists of three flavors: Daily Greens - which helps with digestion, Golden Health - which is made with turmeric and helps with overall wellness, and Everyday Calm - which helps to relax and calm your dog.
- Farm Stand Collection: This collection is one of our favorites! Our Farm Stand Collection was inspired by, well, farm stands! We love the sweet flavors that are found there - including juicy apples and carrots. So, we decided to create Apple Pops and Carrot Pops. As you can tell by the name, these treats are made with apples / carrots and are so delicious, you'll be tempted to try some! (Which is okay considering they're 100% natural!... See, there's another benefit of natural dog treats - you can taste them, too!)
To check out all of our healthy dog treat flavors, click here.
Conclusion of The Health Benefits of Natural Dog Treats
It’s easy to indulge your pet with whatever you see and think it's healthy enough. It can be so difficult not to spoil them when treats (that you think are okay for them) are so readily available on the market. When deciding what your dog should eat, educate yourself on the ingredients to ensure that what you're giving them is good for their health.
Here at Lord Jameson, we want to help you find the healthy dog treat that supports the health of your furry friend! So, don't forget to check out our flavors and follow us on Instagram @LordJameson for updates on new flavors!
Thank you so much for reading!